ISO 3166-2 and GA-UK

Marion Gunn mgunn at egt.ie
Mon Nov 7 10:40:23 CET 2005

Scríobh r&d afrac:
> The confusion over "GB"/"UK" - for all this time, and still for a
> while - is the same as for langtags...

Exactly!

That is why the need that LTRU and IETF members support GA-UK.

Irish language communities have every right to be angry with langtag
controllers refusing us the same basic rights happily accorded to Saami
communities (who are similarly spread over various dot FI, dot NO, dot
RU and dot SE email/webtags).

This should be easy - all it requires is goodwill across ISO members
generally towards NSAI's and BSI's communities of Irish speakers.

Right now (November 2005) langtag controllers oppose this, offering as
their excuse that GA-UK would require ISO 3166-2 to be updtated, but, by
the same logic,  (with ISO 3166-2 currently being updated right now),
they can support that right now, if they want to.

It is that simple. In the above, I would especially welcome Harald's support.

To recap (for non-Europeans), "UK of GB & NI" means exactly that and
nothing more is required than to facilitate (via ISO 3166-2) assigning
GA-UK to serve Irish speakers north of the border in my country,
matching GA-IE south of it.

I thank you for your attention in this matter.
mg
--

Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an