Distinguishing Greek and Greek

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 17 17:26:50 CET 2005

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

>> Real life may be more complex than 3 descriptors language tags. (BTw
>> this is why we need 5 of them (which can default to 3 when we know 2,
>> or even to 1, when we know 4). But Word uses 5 and Microsoft has a
>> good proven experience in the area).
>
> Microsoft does not use 5-letter language identifiers.

He's talking about 5 "descriptors," which I guess are supposed to map to
the 5 elements of the language tagging mechanism he envisions.

I didn't think any Microsoft product dealt with "style" or "authority"
attributes, nor in script except to the extent that is covered by
registered RFC 3066 tags.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/