Distinguishing Greek and Greek

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Mar 14 16:43:41 CET 2005

At 14:59 +0100 2005-03-14, Yannis Haralambous wrote:

>Finally a last comment: you can compare the monotonic/regular issue
>to orthographical reforms like the German one,

Yes, because it is a change of spelling, not of script.

>but there are two major differences: (1) it affects a very important
>part of text (I have never counted it but I would guess that 90% of
>words in an average text are written differently in the two systems),

That is a question of the scope of the reform, but it remains an
orthographic change, not a change of script.

>(2) it has strong political and ideological connotations. Both
>points show the necessity of dealing with this issue in a neutral,
>clear and non-ambiguous way.

That is a question of the sociology of the reform, but it remains an
orthographic change, not a change of script.

I believe we should register two language tags in RFC 3066 so that
text can be tagged appropriately. Just as a pre- or post-1996
spelling checker can be applied to language-tagged German text, so
can a polytonic or monotonic spelling checker be applied to
language-tagged Greek text.