Swiss german, spoken

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 15 01:53:08 CEST 2005

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Harald Tveit Alvestrand

> That should be relatively easy....
>
> <item>
>   <dialogue>
>     <language>zh-min</language>
>   </dialogue>
>   <subtitles track=1>
>     <language>zh-hant</language>
>   </subtitles>
>   <subtitles track=2>
>     <language>zh-hans</language>
>   </subtitles>
> </item>
>
> (since the actual content isn't inside the XML structure, using
"xml:lang"
> seems a bit weird to me - but I'm no XML guru...)

Indeed, the xml:lang should be used only to declare the language
attributes of content contained within the element. If an element
contains a reference to e.g. a movie rather than some CDATA encoded
representation of the movie, then xml:lang would only be relevant for
language used in the reference itself. And if an element contains some
encoded representation of a movie, then separate attributes would be
needed to indicate the language of the audio track and the language(s)
of sub-titles, so again xml:lang wouldn't be a good choice (unless by
convention it was deemed to apply to the audio track, say).

> <distraction>actually there is no longer a tag for "serbocroatian" -
it got
> officially deleted from the registry after the breakup of
Yugoslavia......
> so you've got to tag it as either Serbian or Croatian or both....
> </distraction>

Well, interestingly, "sh" was kept in the code table of ISO 639-1:2002.
Arguably, it is still valid for use in RFC 3066 applications.

Peter Constable