Swiss german, spoken

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 13 21:35:16 CEST 2005

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com

> zh-cms or zh-cmn?

Sorry, I meant "zh-cmn".

> Does this construction exist today or does it have the
> same problem as "gsw" -- it's not allowed unless 639-3 is published
and
> included in RFC 3066? Were there some recent additions to the Chinese
> codes?

It doesn't exist today, but it doesn't have the same problem as "gsw":
"zh-cmn" *could* be registered today. It would likely result in a bit of
discussion related to its superceding "zh-guoyu", but I think there's a
good case for it.

> Ideally, I would also like to avoid using zh-Hant and zh-Hans without
the
> Mandarin descriptor, though that will suit our business needs today. I
> just wanted to confirm that there aren't currently any registered
codes
> that will allow me to express in a single code
> Chinese-*Mandarin*-Traditional.

There currently are not. It is expected that a successor to 3066
eventually will provide this, but in the mean time, you would need to
request registration of a tag. For this particular case, I'd recommend
requesting two tags: "zh-cmn" and "zh-cmn-Hant".

Peter Constable