Swiss german, spoken

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jun 13 18:19:11 CEST 2005

At 16:56 13/06/2005, Addison Phillips wrote:
>Peter wrote:
> > It is *not* the case
> > that we don't want what she's asking for,
>Yep. Quite the contrary, we want *exactly* what she's asking for. It is
>merely a question of timing.

I am glad of these two mails. They illustrates again the problem we face:
we agree, but that your solution set is shaky and ours is not ready. So, we
would be better off in cooperating and/or in getting assistance from Govs,
as per RFC 3869 and WSIS consensus.
jfc

PS. Some remarks to Peter if it may help.

1. archives about TJ/CN registrations are open to all.
2. IMHO the main problem of ISO 639-3 you will face is the duplicates with
ISO 639-4. They may unnecessarily delay both. You should clarify.
3. you say in another mail "For some reason, you seem to think your
inability is laudable while my same inability is short-sighted and
attempting to by-pass rules." Our common inability comes from your approach
which has some pros for you. What is laudable is to propose a way out you
could accept, what is short-sighted is to refuse to consider it. All the
more than I think my approach is fully respectfull of yours and gives you
many descriptive pluses, while offering a full spectrum of possibilities to
quantified/normative aspects.

I first thought we could address your issue at Internet level and I
proposed a solution. I then saw better the picture and the only solution is
to go by the book when it exists already and to dialog over real
application when it is not. Keeping confusing issues, concepts and values,
exceptions and standards, descriptive and normative elements,
instantiation, version and application, etc. will lead to no where serious.
For six months I tell you to proceed by the book, step by step, without
wanting to swallow the world and me one shot. We deal with registries and
want to add script information on the Internet side. By the book it means:
ISO 11179 and charsets. From there on one can tune. Ignoring them is
creating a flood of conflicts.