Swiss German, spoken

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Jun 12 10:25:50 CEST 2005

[Michael asked several times that I do not respond to him, so I respect his
imposed dispractice of IETF usages, but this is not IETF, to avoid
irritating him further while I rejoice to agree with him for the first time]

I wander were Michael can find "venom" in my mail. I underlined the
ridiculous of the situation a given affinity group locked itself into, and
therefore the need for it to detach itself from its typographers origin
when dealing with languages. I note that:

1. fortunately this seems to have been heard since Michael now supports the
registration of the two requested tags, what is Internet-wise a very wise
solution. This is certainly in conflict with the WG-ltru's current
consensus by exhaustion. It is therefore extremely sad he refused to join
it. I failed making the WG-ltru accept and address this kind of problem:
who better than him could succeed? This would certainly help many to come
back and contribute (see below), giving a real chance to the Draft
(provided the topic distribution between the two drafts is better made
between what resorts to this mailing list [registry] and not: but again who
better than him could clarify that? I am sure he could even help convincing
his counter-part Doug Barton to join and help with the IANA issues). No one
would more happy than me of such a "divine" issue.

2. this has also fortunately lead other opinions I share and we will
support to be able to express themselves. The mistake of associating
languages and scripts  - Tex (all the more with a lack of precise
definition for script: for example in an oral for of art, the script is
what the people say and do). The need to support oral languages - Debbie.
The dissociation of orthography and languages - John. The wistled languages
forms - Frank (signs, signals, clicks, and drums should not be forgotten).
I am sure that, should this mailing list be advertised as it should on the
IANA we would have more members and more suggestions. (In case Michael
would say that this remark is "venom": I made that comment about the poor
presentation of the IANA on the ietf main list and the Chair indicated that
the suggestion was retained for RFC 2424 bis).

As probably most of us, I first thought that Michael's "bollock" was rude.
Then I realised I was on the wrong tack and that Michael spoke seaman
language (registered?). Debbie, Michael was appreciative: he was using
"bollock" in a bullock's meaning. A bullock is a Royal Infantry person on
an HMS and a bollock is a pulley on top of a mast. He wanted to say that
your proposition was a way to strongly pull up the debate. What I agree
except that you forget signs, clicks and drums and probably many other
forms of bandwidth specific languages and skip all the complex multimodal
issues that ISO 639-6 does not seem to structurally address (what however a
proper respect of ISO 11179 could permit to branch - even if ISO 11179 has
not yet addressed the multilingual aspects yet, what makes us to consider
our own server architecture as temporary).

I repeat my information: we have good hopes UNITAG can support this list
registry in a few months. So we are quite interested in having it
consistent with ISO 12620, 11179, a comprehensive 639-4, 3166 and even
15924 (however if we have no problem in referencing it, we obviously have a
problem in using conceptual metamodel layer) and consistently open to other
correlated models. I will try to address the Access Grid architecture
principles quickly enough for this list (which is probably one of the most
active IANA Registry reviewing-list with ccTLDs) may comment it.

jfc