Swiss german, spoken

John.Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Sun Jun 12 02:11:51 CEST 2005

Michael Everson scripsit:
> At 00:30 +0100 2005-06-12, Debbie Garside wrote:
> >I was not commenting on the particular tag request itself... just the
> >principle of allocating tags to "written" and "spoken"...
>
> Ys, but that is bollocks. Every language can be written.

Every language can be *transcribed in writing*, but only some have
*written forms*, more or less distinct in grammar and lexis from their
spoken analogues.  The distinction is not a nugatory one.

--
But the next day there came no dawn,            John Cowan
and the Grey Company passed on into the         jcowan at reutershealth.com
darkness of the Storm of Mordor and were        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
lost to mortal sight; but the Dead              http://reutershealth.com
followed them.          --"The Passing of the Grey Company"