Swiss german, spoken

John.Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Sun Jun 12 01:25:04 CEST 2005

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Oh, I'd really like to say "bollocks" to this notion of "spoken" vs
> "written". A language is a language. EVERY language can be written.
> Representation of dialect forms of written language is not a question
> of written/unwritten.

Quite so.  However, Spoken Swiss German is the formal FDIS 639-3 name of
the language in question.  That does not mean it cannot be written, any
more than LATIN LETTER OI, yada yada.

This is quite distinct from any 639-6 structure or terminology.

--
The Imperials are decadent, 300 pound   John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
free-range chickens (except they have   http://www.reutershealth.com