Language X within scope of language Y

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 31 08:04:28 CET 2005

Jon Hanna <jon at hackcraft dot net> wrote:

> Oh there's certainly differences, and I often get asked if I'm
> Scottish on the basis of how my accent sounds to Dubliners' ears (more
> rarely, American, Australian and once Canadian). Peter is right in
> saying there are similarities in accent between Belfast and Liverpool
> also.

Actually, my comment about the English spoken in Northern Ireland being
similar to the English spoken in Éire had nothing to do with accent, and
everything to do with vocabulary, spelling, and other usage.

AFAIK, spoken accent is not normally considered an attribute worth
tagging -- if it were, we'd have registered *en-US-Texas and such long
ago.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/