Code Changes (CC) in ISO 15924

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Thu Jan 27 19:29:04 CET 2005

The Unicode Consortium has a very clear policy on the stability of
identification codes: that even deprecated codes can maintain their original
semantics indefinitely. In particular, codes never be reused with different
semantics. In its role as the Registration Authority for ISO 15924, Unicode
Consortium maintains that policy.

If there are any cases where the above stability policy appears to have been
violated, we would like the details to be brought to our attention so that
the situation can be examined, and if necessary, addressed.

We do regret the tone of Mr. Everson's reply. It appears that he felt that
he was not replying in his official capacity as registrar on this list, but
even in such cases, as Registrar he needs to respond in a measured fashion
in on script issues.

‎Mark