Language X within scope of language Y

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jan 21 14:05:49 CET 2005

Dear L. Gillam,
I have been recently told by a English friend a funny origin of the word
"Frog" for the French. French language and, in result, thinking, is so
tailored to quick case/generalization/generalized case representing
technical, political etc. leap frogs (also later in History dubbed as
"Cartesian") that English people used to call "Frogs" people speaking that
language (whatever the origin: the guy told me about German, Italian, even
African French speaking people - 16th century - being called that way).
This was probably a joke, but when I read your post I feel I may not have
clearly enough explained the simplicity of the generalization I call for (I
will explain it again), and how much you would be horrified if I started
talking of my pet subject of a unified theory of information and of the
digital decoherence :-).

You may know Peter Danninos books on Major Thompson. This British person
lands in Calais and the first lady he sees is red haired. So he generalizes
in is diary, "French women have red hairs". This is in substance what the
current tags of the Draft only permits. What I say is simply - either drop
the "replace 3066" and the tag is used by what yu do. Or consider your tag
as my lang5tag by default from your worldwide authoritative college. Mine
only permitting the "French-Women-Red Hair-First_seen-Major Thompson"
documentation, which gives more chance to survive to the 31 millions of non
red haired other French persons, and to the Red Haired girl to travel back
home ... in the UK.

Now, about teflon. My wife noted on a note : "buy an English Teflon Pan".
Great ! Clear. A good xml tag if any. A few years ago she had told me "buy
an English Pan" and we had awful time in the morning with fried eggs
because I purchased an aluminum pan. How silly ! Happily she keeps reading
Addison and noted "teflon" too !!! So, I went to the SuperMarket. Looks at
the Pans. Found the Teflon pans. And then I panicked: they had small,
medium, and large ones, with blue or read handles .....

IRT the fra-Latn-US vs. fra-Latn-UK this is a very interesting issue. For
example the word "Chesapeake" is "victory" in "fra" and in "fra-Latn-US"
and "even" in fra-Latn-UK. I can suggest another difficulty between "fra"
and "fra-Latn-US" and "fra-Latn-US": "bush" means "ally" in the last two
and is broadly used in various different meaning in "fra". Being serious
(jokes are the best way to test a language) you see you do not need
billions of memory to note differences. In networking processes this is
named a "patch". Let see the value of the patches.

Default - registered by Yahoo through  ietf-languages at alvestrand.no :
fra-latn-fr
Bush >  comment: President
Chesapeake > comment: condos for sale

AUF (200.000 words) fra-latn-fr-*-auf
Bush  > comment: misc
Chesapeake >    comment: victory

American Patch - fra-latn-us-xxx-xxx plus:
Bush >  comment: President

English Patch - fra-lantn-en-xxx-xxx plus:
Chesapeake > comment: no

You see that in using one registration or another and one patch or another
in the DATA command of the OPES of this list ones will have totally
different texts.

Difficult to do? Well when you call a css file or an RDF file, what are you
doing :-)))) No rocket (to the stars) science for that.

All he best!
HA's Troll