Use of "CS" for 'Serbia and Montenegro'

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 13 17:06:23 CET 2005

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Bruce Lilly

> I still don't follow your reasoning. [I'll ignore the "sr" code,
> since that's not an issue.]  There is already a definition of
> "CS" meaning "SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO"...

And there has been a historical definition of "CS" meaning
"Czechoslovakia", and certainly extant copies of ISO 3166 documenting
that, with enough industry memory to have left a significant amount of
confusion.

If registering something that is in your view self-evident and
accomplishes nothing, then it is entirely harmless. So what I don't
understand is why you seem so opposed to such a registration.

Peter Constable