draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jan 7 15:01:21 CET 2005

At 14:26 07/01/2005, John Cowan wrote:
>   If there's any defending the presence of an
>*algorithm* in a BCP at all, it's because we are not making the algorithm
>normative, but just saying "The most commonly used algorithm is".

May be. Do you have a way to quantify this: number of usages, number of
applications, number of languages. This would be extermely helpful.

The most used way by users I see is common sense: not to call foreign web
sites you do not know the language. The most non used way is to refer
oneself to missing language icons in search engines.

The target should not to lock users in their supposed common practices (or
to propose the text as an "SCP" - supposed/suggested) but to help them the
best we can.
jfc