draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Jan 7 14:31:07 CET 2005

John C Klensin scripsit:

> > In RFC 3066, it is only a heuristic (or examination of the
> > IANA registry, which is not machine-parseable) that tells the
> > meaning of the second subtag the existing registered tag
> > sr-Latn.  In the draft, its meaning is unambiguously specified
> > a priori.
>
> So?

So it is meaningless to talk about "breaking backward compatibility"
when the behavior in question is a heuristic (or to quote Ned,
"it works in most but not all cases").  Registration of new tags
under RFC 3066 can and will break the heuristic all by themselves.
The new draft talks about scripts, but the existing registered tags
talk about scripts too.

--
John Cowan  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com
'Tis the Linux rebellion / Let coders take their place,