draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability", and extensions

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jan 6 19:46:36 CET 2005

At 07:37 -0800 2005-01-06, ned.freed at mrochek.com wrote:

>In any case, the recurring issue with country codes is simply this: Anyone who
>wants to process them as such who based their code on 3066 and who didn't use
>tables wrote code that treated the second subtag and the second subtag only as
>a country code. The new specification changes this principle, and that breaks
>implementations done in good faith to the old specification, in the process
>potentially creating interop problems.

This is a theoretical concern unless you have evidence of real
implementations. But do not argue with me about it. You don't need to
convince me, and I really don't care. I just want to know what the
rules I have to follow are. And I would like the high volume of
endlessly repetitive argument in my ietflang box to go away, I really
would.