be-latn language tag registration form

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 5 17:20:48 CET 2005

Misha Wolf <Misha dot Wolf at reuters dot com> wrote:

> I suppose the main place in which to seek consistency is:
>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags
>
> Looking at the tag applications:
>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tag-apps.htm
> and at the tags themselves:
>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags
> I see that the former claims to have been last updated on 2003-10-09,
> while the latter says it was last updated on 2004-06-02.  Doing a
> quick visual comparison, I see sl-nedis among the tags, but not among
> the applications.  I imagine that maintaining these two lists in
> parallel is prone to such errors.

I tend to agree with Misha that while case is insignificant in language
tags, it doesn't hurt to follow the appropriate conventions when
registering tags.

In this case, 'Latn' is a script subtag which should be titlecased in
keeping with ISO 15924 conventions.  The lowercase L in "yi-latn" was an
anomaly that can be disregarded, especially since it was the first tag
of this type to be registered, and the casing convention may not have
been as well known at the time.

On the other hand, "sl-nedis" features a variant subtag (as we who
support RFC 3066bis would call it), which has no established casing
convention, so lowercase seems appropriate.

I support "be-Latn" and I suspect that with the expecting delay in
approving RFC 3066bis, there will be many more registrations of this
type under RFC 3066.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/