draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability", and extensions

Bruce Lilly blilly at erols.com
Wed Jan 5 09:37:43 CET 2005

>  Date: 2005-01-04 13:04
>  From: John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>

> Finding country codes is straightforward: any non-initial subtag of two letters
> (not appearing to the right of "x-" or "-x-") is a country code.
> This is true in RFC 1766, RFC 3066, and the current draft.

I believe that:
1. it is not strictly true of the registered tag sgn-CH-de, except
   by the coincidence that "de" describes a language as well as a
   country; unless Switzerland has united with Germany when I
   wasn't paying attention.
2. there is no way that an RFC 3066 parser could have made such an
   assumption as there is no specification regarding interpretation
   of 2-letter subtags in the 3rd or subsequent positions.  In
   particular, what you state as a rule appears nowhere in 1766 or
   3066.