draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 4 19:38:05 CET 2005

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of John Cowan

> > The whole question of what is a language, a variant or dialect of a
> > language, or a suitable substitute for a language, would benefit
some
> > thought in any tagging scheme, though I agree the problem is not
> > generally soluble.
>
> See the editor's draft of ISO 639-3 at http://tinyurl.com/6kky2 ...

I would say that all of clause 4.2 is relevant; in addition to 4.2.1, I
would especially include 4.2.2, in relation to which I have presented
ideas that led to the inclusion of the Extensions subtag in the proposed
draft. (I originally thought of it as a way to capture some existing
registered tags as part of a consistent scheme rather than merely as
ad-hoc tags, but I think it may be more generally useful as well for
dealing with some of the issues regarding different perceptions of what
is a language.) I'm afraid I don't have time at the moment to elaborate
further.

Peter Constable