IDN and language

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Jan 4 19:14:09 CET 2005

At 18:06 04/01/2005, John C Klensin wrote:
>Returning to the DNS/IDN situation, ICANN has created a
>recommendation for all TLDs, and a requirement on at least some
>gTLDs, that languages not be mixed within a label and for
>registration and use of tables similar to those recommended by
>RFC 3743.  Those tables are identified by a combination of the
>Domain name associated with the registering TLD registry and a
>3066 code.  That system is not, IMO, working especially well and
>the 3066 code model will, I think, have to be extended to deal
>with some unusual situations.   But, interestingly,
>draft-phillips... doesn't appear to solve that particular
>problem: what is needed is a way to specify odd mixtures of
>languages and/or scripts that may be appropriate to a particular
>zone, and that means less specificity and more
>linguistically-strange constructions, not more specificity and
>structure.

The real problem is the confusion all this introduce because it is not a
consensual draft by an IETF WG working along an IAB approved Charter, what
is odd when the discussed RFC was authored by the IESG Chair and the
private mailing list hosted under his name with the name "ietf-language"
what is confusing to many.

At this stage, we can only say that there is no consensus on what is
discussed, on the problems to solve and the proposed solutions. But that
there is no reason why there would not be such a consensus when the charter
I outlined yesterday would have been carried.
jfc