Language X within scope of language Y

L.Gillam L.Gillam at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 11:01:24 CET 2005

> > The issue of England/Scotland/Wales aside
> > (http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/gb.htm), 3166-2 contains various
> > 2-2 constructions;
>
> ISO 3166-2 codes are variable-length, although the first two
> characters
> are always the relevant 3166-1 alpha-2 code.

I read that too. A mix of alpha-2, alpha-3 and digits. I noted the 2-2 particularly due to implications this might have had for any possible use in 3066 and the interpretation of the -2.

> The so-called alpha-4s are just two concatenated alpha-2 codes, and
> code for changes in codes: thus YUCS indicates that the country
> formerly coded YU is now coded CS.  Such changes in code usually,
> but not always, reflect underlying changes in country name.

Yes, sub-parsing:

"As you can see, the code elements for formerly used country names have a length of four alphabetical characters (alpha-4 code elements). The first two characters are in all cases the original alpha-2 code element representing the former country name removed from ISO 3166(-1). Characters three and four are allocated according to rules established in ISO 3166-3."

Yugoslavia? http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/03updates-on-iso-3166/nlp3i-3.html

> > Are there plans for handling these under
> > RFC 3066, or is it already included somewhere in 3066bis that I missed?
>
> ISO 3166-3 is not relevant to RFC 3066 or RFC 3066bis.

Your answer, I guess, depends on your definition of relevant. And, perhaps, whether you want to refer to ISO standards for dealing with Yugoslavia. I'd have thought these could be used in combination with the singletons of 3066bis. Perhaps not?