Proposed new subtags, when the time comes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 10 17:28:26 CET 2005

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand dot no> wrote:

> q: could you perhaps title the additions to the registry as LANGUAGE
> SUBTAG ADDITION and the modification as LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION?
>
> When both are titled ADDITION, I get confused easily (which is a
> danger always...)

I can do that... BUT... I did exactly what the draft said.  There is no
mention in Section 3.3, or elsewhere in the draft, of the title text
LANGUAGE SUBTAG ADDITION.

On the other hand, figure 4 is billed as just "an example of what the
body of the message might contain," so perhaps there is nothing "out of
spec" in calling the additions ADDITION and the modifications
MODIFICATION.

You see, there was some value after all in posting this page to make
sure I understood the process.  :-)

Another possible source of confusion in the title might be the word
LANGUAGE.  What if we are adding a variant?  There is already a Type
field, so presumably the information that this is a variant would go in
the Type field, and the record would still say LANGUAGE SUBTAG ADDITION
to indicate that this record to intended for the Language Subtag
Registry, not some other repository.  But that would probably look
really silly.  Is this title text intended to be flexible, or to always
say LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION as shown in Figure 4?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA