recently-approved tags

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Apr 12 13:01:21 CEST 2005

At 23:02 -0700 2005-04-11, Tex Texin wrote:
>However, approving (more) tags of the form lang-script-region presumes
>agreement for that format. Since we don't have agreement on a standard
>we don't know that this is the best choice. Potentially, registering
>more languages in this format locks us into a style for which we might
>ultimately regret. (Because it makes spec'ing an alternative more
>difficult.)

I had a meeting with Peter and Mark at the Berlin meeting, and am
satisfied that the syntax meets established and sensible needs.

Having said that, the rules had better be able to handle:

zh-wuu-Hant-CN
zh-min-nan-Hans-CN

etc if I do understand the syntax.

>It would have been better to hold off and finish the standard.

It would have been better had the standard been approved when it was
ready as opposed to being derailed on frivolous grounds.