Alemannic/Schwyzerdütsch, ISO 639-2 three-letter language code

Georg Schweizer gschweizer at gmx.at
Tue Sep 28 07:41:25 CEST 2004

[Earlier messages in this threat use the subject heading
"gem-CH LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM"]

Caoimhín wrote:
> "sch" isn't used in ISO 639-2 nor in the 14th edition of the
> Ethnologue (www.ethnologue.com), but in Peter Constable's Draft 5
> of ISO 639-3 it is used for "Sakechep", a language of India by
> the looks of things which gets only 3 hits with Google.

Thanks a lot for cross-checking! This does not mean, that "sch"
is already assigned. However, if "sch" is not available I’d
suggest to introduce "scd" for Alemannic/Schwyzerdütsch.

> It might be worth trying to find out whether the 15th edition
> of the Ethnologue [...]
> divides up the Alemannic languages differently from
> the 14th edition.

I’ve never seen SIL’s peculiar language family tree for
"Alemannisch"/"Alemannic"/"Allemannic" anywhere before.
That’s the same name in German, English and with a typo.
> http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=751

The traditional division into the variants Low, High and
Highest Alemannic is commonly accepted.
The Ethnologue also refers to them:
     "Swiss varieties are High Alemannisch (most) and
     Highest Alemannisch (several in central Switzerland). [...]
     Varieties in Germany include Low and High Alemannisch."
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=GSW

—Georg

--
Sound samples of Schwyzerdütsch: http://www.dialekt.ch