gem-CH LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Sep 27 22:24:23 CEST 2004

Caoimhin O Donnaile scripsit:

> Rather than using "gem-CH", which could be interpreted in various
> ways, why not use the three-letter codes "gsw" for Schwyzerdütsch
> and "wae" for Walser as in the proposed/forthcoming ISO 639-3
> (and indeed the current edition of the Ethnologue)?

Because, alas, we are not yet (and may never be) in the post-3066 regime.
I wish it were otherwise, but at present we can't register 3-letter
tokens that might collide with future ISO 639-2 assignments.  If and
when 639-3 makes it out the ISO door, we can do that, but not until.

We could use gem-gsw, though.

--
"May the hair on your toes never fall out!"     John Cowan
        --Thorin Oakenshield (to Bilbo)         jcowan at reutershealth.com