revision of ISO 3166

Patrick Andries pandries at cooptel.qc.ca
Mon Sep 6 07:32:54 CEST 2004

Peter Constable a écrit :

>FYI, there is work underway to revise ISO 3166-1. It is currently at the
>committee stage (CD) and is being balloted, with a deadline for comments
>of 2004-9-17. There is a copy of the draft available at
>http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/n419.pdf.
>

>Peter
>
>Peter Constable
>Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
>Microsoft Windows Division

Two quick remarks :

1) Official languages of Eritrea :

        ERITREA Eritrea ER ERI 232 * en; ar; ti eng; ara; tir Eritrea;
Iritriya; Ertra

       Is English really an official language of Eritrea ? Not according
to the CIA book of facts
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/er.html or
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Eritrea

2)  I do not know if the country short names (in capitals) are somehow
more official that the short names but I fear this may appear as such
and we might see these names used in software over the more common short
names, since I believe the CLDR initiave, for instance, uses these
shorts names in their database. It leads to CLDR limiting itself to
UN-politically-correct names such as TIMOR-LESTE not used in French
(except the UN and then again) unknown to any dictionary when I looked
at the beginning of this year (Larousse, Robert or Hachette 2004).

P. .A