en-boont-scouse?

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Mon Nov 15 19:40:21 CET 2004

The recommended prefix is informative, not normative (just as its name suggests). It accomplishes the same task as registering whole tags, without restricting variants from use in the generative mechanism. This has the side effects that you note.

Both 'ar-scouse' and 'en-boont-scouse' are well-formed and valid. The former tag has informative information that indicates that it would be unwise to form that tag. The latter tag doesn't have that information in the machine-readable part of the registry (one would have to look at the actual registration to know it). In practice, both tags violate "rule 0" of language tags: "Choose tags wisely."

In authoring the spec, we didn't solve every possible tag formation problem in a normative manner. The tags you give in your email below are preposterous, if "valid", but no more so than 'zh-CO' (well-formed and valid under RFC 3066) or 'en-Egyp-CH' (ditto for draft-langtags). Writing a registry file format that would describe the valid ranges and exclusions for registered variants can probably be done, but at the cost of greater complexity (and further, unnecessary, delay). I don't see that we need to solve this problem for the informative information in an "RP", except via usage guidelines.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com

Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.