Question on ISO-639:1988

Anthony Hoang ahoang at wwre.org
Fri May 21 15:33:52 CEST 2004

Håvard Hjulstad (ISO 639 Project Leader),

I'm working with EAN.UCC, a standards community for the global Retail & Consumer Manufacturing industry.  In our XML messaging standards, we have specified ISO-639:1988 as the official code list for specifying language.  I see that your publication of the language codes specify 2 lowercase alpha characters.

As a B2B trading community, should we be enforcing that only lower case characters be used?  Have you faced issues where a community implements both lowercase and uppercase characters?  In the case that both lowercase and uppercase are used, is there a preferred best practice between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Anthony Hoang
Functional Architect, WorldWide Item Management

WorldWide Retail Exchange
625 North Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
[main: 703.234.5100]
[fax: 703.234.5200]
[direct: 703.234.5151]
[email: ahoang at wwre.org]
[aol im: AnthonyWWRE]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged.  This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system.  Thank You