an old item: es-americas

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Thu Mar 25 20:36:32 CET 2004

There is an internet-draft related to this: see
http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-phillips-langtags-01.html

There are some problems with using a '/', not the least of which is
incompatibility with existing implementations (because it includes
additional currently illegal characters in the tag).

When/if the aforementioned draft advances, the specific solution you suggest
will be possible with private extensions or (if you can convince the
community at large) via variant registration. In addition, it may be
possible to use the UN M49 code (although some comments Mark and I have
received may result in prohibiting this).

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.