draft-phillips-langtags-01

Jeremy Carroll jjc at hplb.hpl.hp.com
Fri Mar 19 11:32:15 CET 2004

> (3) Registering variant subtags
>
> As the text points out, whereas RFC 1766/3066 registrations were for an
> entire tag (such as en-boont), RFC 3066 bis registrations are to be for
> the subtag (boont) only.  The registration would include the country
> subtag as an informative field.  Would the subtag still only be valid
> with the intended language, or would there be a loophole allowing an
> inappropriate combination such as fr-boont?  The document didn't make it
> clear to me.

I've been reading it more thoroughly too: it would seem entirely within the philosophy of RFC3066bis to permit fr-boont, noting that it is sufficiently useless that it won't be used. (i.e. fr-boont is a contradictory description and hence is a description of the empty set of texts ...). I see nothing wrong with such a philosophy, it doesn't lead to logical confusion, it is certainly easier to administer than the old philosophy (every tag is useful and describes a non-empty set of texts).

Jeremy