comments on the draft...

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 8 18:13:15 CEST 2004

> From: Addison Phillips [wM] [mailto:aphillips at webmethods.com]

> We are open to rewording and revising: we just haven't had the time to
confer and
> consider specific responses just yet

Understood.

> we should pause and note that there is a suggestion that this won't
> be an actual problem, merely a possible one. The continued existence
of the
> registration process will prevent, one hopes, unrestrained
registration of subtags and
> set policies based on consensus.

Reasonable enough.

> As the editor of the draft, my main problem isn't with the theoretical
but with the
> practical:

Completely reasonable.

> what text would you suggest would be appropriate?

I guess I don't have any particular suggestions for revision on this
particular point. If there's consensus on accepting the registration of
subtags rather than entire tags, then we could codify a manual of best
practice for what we don't at this anticipate being heavily needed, or
take it upon ourselves to respond to requests with wisdom and care,
leaving the codification of best practice until there's a real need (by
which time it would be clear what issues have in practice proven to be
problematic, rather than speculating now on what those might be).

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division