Linguasphere -- An appeal for clarity

jcowan at jcowan at
Fri Jun 4 19:14:12 CEST 2004

Misha Wolf scripsit:

> It is about language identification so it clearly overlaps our
> domain of interest.  If it were a Good Thing but unsuited for
> eg "Accept-Language" and "xml:lang" then it would be perfectly
> fine for it to be adopted as an ISO standard and for some other
> RFC (or other spec) to define how it is to be used, eg in XML,
> for example via linguasphere:lang="abcd".

I can't agree with you there.  If Linguasphere becomes ISO 639-6 (as
Ethnologue is becoming ISO 639-3, not without changes), then there will
be to say the least pressures to accept 639-6 codes in some successor
to RFC 3066.  This is not about a whole separate ISO standard, it is about
a different part to the existing ISO standard that RFC 3066 is already
making use of.  Its overall suitability has to be discussed here.

John Cowan  jcowan at
Does anybody want any flotsam? / I've gotsam.
Does anybody want any jetsam? / I can getsam.
        --Ogden Nash, No Doctors Today, Thank You