Question on ISO-639:1988

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Jun 3 22:24:56 CEST 2004

Peter Constable scripsit:

> I consider this to be a *non* requirement for coding systems, and in
> fact an impossibility. (Ironically, it has been mainly David Dalby who
> has suggested to me that greater consideration should be given to
> mnemonicity in ISO 639-3 than I have though necessary.)

I think the important point is not so much mnemonicity but the avoidance
of overpacking, as shown in my Japanese/Buginese postings; allowing for
loose packing often makes mnemonicity possible as a side benefit.

BTW, Peter, would you be willing and able to give a brief progress report
on 639-3?  In particular, has the East Texas Chain Shift been completely
worked out yet?

--
"Kill Gorgûn!  Kill orc-folk!           John Cowan
No other words please Wild Men.         jcowan at reutershealth.com
Drive away bad air and darkness         http://www.reutershealth.com
with bright iron!"  --Ghân-buri-Ghân    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan