Question on ISO-639:1988

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Wed Jun 2 16:54:03 CEST 2004

> You heard the speech from the
> eminent Professor (who shall remain unnamed) in Oslo... or was it as far
> back as Vienna... when he agreed that the only true way forward was in
> Linguasphere style...

> Would it surprise you to hear that the reaction from industry is not lacking
> in enthusiam at all but rather one of pondering the situation... easy time
> now or do a little work  on development for future needs...

> The paper (system) was very well
> received by the IT community in Lisbon...

This all sounds very, very dubious. I'm reasonably well connected globalization
issues within the IT community, and hear no hew and cry for 70K language tags.
And references to "unnamed, eminent" Professors as justification sound very
familiar. As to the last sentence, I wouldn't know how to take that, it could be
any one of the following:

- The entire world IT community, which happened to be in Lisbon at one time,
welcomed the system.
- The portion of the world IT community that is based in Lisbon, welcomed the
system.
- There was some conference in Lisbon, at which some people claiming to
represent the entire IT community, welcomed the system.
- On holiday in Lisbon, the author happened to talk to the tech guy at an
internet cafe, who welcomed the system.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄