Question on ISO-639:1988

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 16:29:26 CEST 2004

We are indeed providing alpha4 identifiers for 25,000+ linguistic
identities, catering for a wide variety of overlapping usages. The number
will rise higher.  The figure of 70,000, however, relates to all variations
of language names, NOT identities, and 450,000 relates only to the number of
alpha4 tags possible, NOT necessarily realised or needed.

Debbie