Web Form: Subj: Jawi letters

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 23 09:54:16 CEST 2004

Dafydd Dalby <Speechways at aol dot com> wrote:

> Each spoken, written and signed form of language in the world deserves
> an umabiguous code, clearly defined in relation to all adjacent
> langtags, and avoiding the problems of sub-tagging.

Which problems?  For many information-technology purposes, subtags are
more useful than assigning a discrete code to every language and
dialect.

If I am tagging Chinese content on the Internet, it is almost certainly
more useful to use a tag like 'zh-CN' or 'zh-TW' or 'zh-Hans' or
'zh-Hant', which can at least match 'zh' as a fallback, rather than a
tagging system which treats these variations as if they were as
different as 'zh' and 'en' and 'ar'.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/