draft-phillips-langtags-04 /2.3 UND

Jon Hanna jon at hackcraft.net
Fri Jul 2 15:11:57 CEST 2004

Quoting John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>:

> Misha Wolf scripsit:
>
> > XML 1.1 specifies that the empty value of xml:lang be used for
> > this purpose:
> >    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#sec-lang-tag
>
> Not really.  You are confounding, as it were, agnosticism and atheism.
> UND says that the language is unknown to the tagger; the empty string
> doesn't say anything.

I can't see anything to indicate that UND means anything more than the language
isn't stated; whether because the tagger is ignorant or just isn't saying.
Likewise with the empty string for xml:lang.

The use of the empty string rather than UND matches the RFC "You SHOULD NOT use
the UND (Undetermined) code unless the protocol in use forces you to give a
value for the language tag, even if the language is unknown.  Omitting the tag
is preferred."

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>