draft-phillips-langtags-04 /2.4.2 Matching language tags

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Thu Jul 1 22:00:09 CEST 2004

ok. There are 2 different queries to be considered.

The one you are considering is "return all content that matches a-b".

There is also the language negotiation scenario, where the query is "return the
single item that best matches a-b".

I thought language matching was about the latter. In 3066, the distinction is
less significant, since if you want the latter you can stop at the first match.
If you want the former you go thru all the documents.
But in 3066bis, having optional subtags means the latter scenario needs a
different approach.

tex

> Peter Constable wrote:
>
> > From: Tex Texin [mailto:tex at xencraft.com]
>

> > If as you say, the documents' labels are to be truncated, and different
> labels
>
> > have specified different numbers of subtags, how much and exactly what is
>
> > truncated on each pass?
>

> Whatever I said, it's easy to miscommunicate when talking about this stuff.
> So, I'll restate my understanding: if a request is for "a-b", then you look
> for documents that are tagged as "a-b" or "a-b-...". So, you'd get matches as
> follows:
>

> document    match
>
> "a-b-c-d"   yes
>
> "a-b-c"     yes
>
> "a-b-e"     yes
>
> "a-b"       yes
>
> "a-f"       no
>
> "a"         no
>

> Applying that to your example, then you would get matches as follows:
>

> Request       Document         Match
>
> zh-Hant-TW    zh-Hant-TW       yes
>
>               zh-Hant-TW-foo   yes
>
>               zh-Hans          no
>
>               zh-TW            no
>
>               zh-TW-foo        no
>
>               zh               no
>

> zh-TW         zh-Hant-TW       no
>
>               zh-Hant-TW-foo   no
>
>               zh-Hans          no
>
>               zh-TW            yes
>
>               zh-TW-foo        yes
>
>               zh               no
>

> Peter Constable

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World