RFC3066bis: looking ahead

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Tue Jan 20 21:03:48 CET 2004

We left open the use of 3-letter country tags, for a few reasons, mostly to do
with stability:

a) when ISO inevitably screws up and redefines the meaning of a two letter code,
since we can't trust them at all not to do this (see
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/utc-positions.html#2stability)

b) if on the other hand, ISO gets its act together and provides for stability,
but then exhausts the 626 possible two letter codes. (E.g. if they started
having ueber-region codes, or wanted more mnemonic codes than were available
with the remaining 2 letters, or all the provinces and subregions in the EU
countries started seceding and becoming independent countries within the EU,
etc)

Our alternative is to only use registered subtags for the region in those cases,
but I'd like to be sure that it would be worth doing.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄