New ISO 639 language identifier - Klingon

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Wed Feb 25 19:30:06 CET 2004

> I also wonder if it should be registered as tlh-latn.

Not if we are to adopt rfc3066bis. Then you can use tlh-Latn on the rare
occasions when it is necessary. For that matter, you could use script
subtags if you chose to transcribe Klingon into some other script. The
mythical "native Klingon script" I suppose could be represented by a private
use code. This becomes a problem for ISO15924 at that point.

Actually, I'm kind of sad to see this new ISO639 code. I've been using
i-klingon as a demo language when introducing i18n concepts to
developers--many programmers are amused and get into it when you show things
like the Klingon Language Pack for their product. Somehow I think the effect
will be diminished by using 'tlh'... :-)

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.