New ISO 639 language identifier - Klingon

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Wed Feb 25 17:43:13 CET 2004

So Klingon is in Latin when written in Japan, Russia, etc.?
And the transcription is spelled the same way in all markets?

I was not saying it shouldn't have been registered. I do think it would be good
if there was some coordination among the various standards bodies to ensure
there these things were treated as a conceptual whole, and not in pieces.

It's not clear to me that having a tag doesn't increase the demand for native
script, or that the demand hasn't increased since the decision was taken to not
include the script.

I also wonder if it should be registered as tlh-latn.

Michael Everson wrote:

> At 02:49 -0500 2004-02-25, Tex Texin wrote:
> >ugh. Is anyone bothered by the fact that we will now have a registered
> >identifier for a language that we have decided not to encode in Unicode?
>
> Languages are not encoded in Unicode. Scripts are encoded in Unicode.
> The Klingon language is a remarkably successful and popular invented
> language. There is no reason it should not have a language tag.
>
> >We can represent it transliterated but not its "native" script.
>
> Its native script is Latin. The other script is not used seriously by
> its users, which is why it was not accepted for encoding. If it *had*
> been so used, it would have been accepted.
> --
> Michael Everson * * Everson Typography *  * http://www.evertype.com

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World