Hawick Scots language tag

Chris Lunn shiieru at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 20:59:17 CET 2004

I was wondering if a Hawick Scots (Teri) tag would be acceptable to add? The
reason I'm mentioning this is because the original "sco" tag doesn't specify
which dialect of Scots is being used, and most often it is Lallans, or even
West Coast, rather than the Teri vernacular, spoken by around 12,000 to
14,000 people in the TD9, TD8 and DG13 (British) postcode areas.

I've enclosed an application form:

LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Name of requester          : Christopher Lunn
E-mail address of requester: shiieru at yahoo.co.uk
Tag to be registered       : sco-hk

English name of language   : Hawick Scots

Native name of language (transcribed into ASCII): Hawick, or Teri

Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

"Braid Hawick: a treatise on the vernacular speech of Hawick" by Elliot
Cowan Smith, 1927 transactions [Hawick Archaeological Society], pages 8 to
32 (from www.genuki.org.uk/big/ROX/Hawick/index.html)
"Speak Teri", published by Hawick Camera Club in the form of a book and
cassette in the early 1990s (date unknown)

Thanks in advance

-Chris Lunn