Language attributes- what are they?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Dec 31 03:30:10 CET 2004

Tex Texin scripsit:

> 3) Your test for locale vs language involving whether an API is needed seems
> suspect to me.
> If I am given a document with 3/4/5 and told it is English US, or even if I
> assume the origin, then it tells me (generally) how I should read (parse) it to
> understand it. I don't think it is just an api issue, anymore than knowing
> whether "chat" is talk or cat.

I agree completely.  Locales may be enough to specify how textual dates are
to be generated from binary ones, but it's the content tagging (suitably
interpreted) that tells how to parse a date contained in a document into
a binary form.  This is every bit as important.

--
They do not preach                              John Cowan
  that their God will rouse them                jcowan at reutershealth.com
    A little before the nuts work loose.        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
They do not teach                               http://www.reutershealth.com
  that His Pity allows them                         --Rudyard Kipling,
    to drop their job when they damn-well choose.   "The Sons of Martha"