Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability",  and extensions

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Dec 30 23:01:53 CET 2004

Full agreement. Thank you Tex.
This discussion now lead to nowhere and may delay the draft.

1. I have documented the needs and listed the discrepancies (only one asked
a question on that, all the rest is noise over my comments on others
positions - what is normal since the target was to comment a draft).

2. I have brought support to the current text with the necessary provision
it is to replace RFC 3066 in the areas RFC 3066 was intended for in Jan
2001 with possible extensions preferably subject to IAB guidance concerted
with external liaison WG. Otherwise I oppose it.

3. I have received enough documented support from serious lurkers or list
members to have a good understanding of what is needed and how it should be
addressed. To come as an outsider helps catalyzing existing but dormant
propositions.

4. I suppose serious initial opponents/surprised experts have now
understood most of what I documented, and need time to digest if and how it
could/should be amalgamated in, or separated from, RFC 3066 ter.

I have no vocation to be a martyr of any IETF cause and I will from now on
only respond private and constructive mails on this issue.

I thank all those who contributed and apologize to those I may have
confused or teased (but it was a tease-back :-). It was a very interesting
exchange which shown the complexity to share network generations cultures
and layers. I learned a lot. Among others that my current needs "which do
not exist" will be helped by others.

If some are interested I have just started the
http://mail.jefsey.com/mailman/listinfo/ml_jefsey.com mailing list. Its
only purpose is to discuss (not disputing) the way the Internet Standard
Process can be used to document a multilingual Internet. This means
questions such as :

- what would a multilingual internet mean and what users needs would it address
- can the current IETF/IESG Internet standard process adequately document
it, under which conditions
- what kind of architectural IAB guidance should be seek about a
multilingual internet framework
- should a WG-Multilingual be investigated or not and if yes with which
charter to propose
- what would be the impact of such a multilingual internet on the existing
Internet documents and procedures and on NGN
- what kind of preparatory work/standard/best proactice, studies, contacts,
etc. would be necessary
- how could this relate with other real world, users, standardization,
intergovernance and WSIS entities.

I wish you all a nice 12/31 and an happy and fruitful multilingual new year!
jfc