Language Identifier List Comments, updated

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 28 07:55:17 CET 2004

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

>> That's equivalent to the statement that only an acknowledged English
>> language authority can say that English comes in national
>> orthographic variants, which is absurd for two reasons:  (a) anyone
>> can see that this is so by inspecting various English-language texts,
>
> anyone ? "shaping te world" is not enforced yet.

Maybe not "anyone."  But the remark about "shaping the world" is
confrontational and unjustified.  Nobody here is trying to dictate how
or where languages should be spoken or written.

>> and (b) there is no acknowledged English language authority, never
>> has been, and almost certainly never will be.
>
> So, do not make the IANA one.

Who is trying to?

> But there is one in Internet terms. This is the .UK ccTLD Manager for
> en-UK and the USNIC for en-US.

They have their scope of activity, and presumably do it well.  Tex's
page has nothing to do with that, and doesn't pretend to.

> I agree. But IDNA is subject to IANA procedures Phillips-08.txt will
> affect.

OK, I've clearly missed something here.  How, exactly, will RFC 3066bis
affect IDNA in a way that RFC 3066 does not?  (If you've already
answered this, please indulge me and accept my apology, and answer it
again.)

> The draft only extend the ABNF. There is there a IANA discrepancy to
> address by Pillips-08.txt.

Are you talking about the "grandfathered" ABNF production that Bruce
latched onto?  That is being addressed in draft-09.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/