Language Identifiers in IDNA tables and 3066bis

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Mon Dec 27 06:37:36 CET 2004

JFC,

hi. I can certainly agree that language tags are used in multiple ways, causing
confusion.

However, restricing their use to language tags identifying IDNA tables is going
too far in the other direction.
Language tags are mentioned in several RFCs for other purposes, such as
content-language in headers,
the RFCs for HTML, etc.

So it seems fair to say that RFCs should serve the purposes of IETF network
interoperability, but that should include more than IDNA tables, unless I
misunderstand the meaning of "IDNA tables".

(I changed the subject since your comments were not really about the list I
published, but about 3066bis.)

tex

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" wrote:

> I gave some thinking to all this and reviewed the documents that W3C also
> prepare. I am afraid we want to put too many unrelated things into the same
> debate, due to a confusion between the three internationalization,
> multilingualization and vernacularization layers wich are not identifed and
> documented yet, while some attempt to discuss what belongs to lingual
> authoritative sources.
>
> This is only an IETF document, talking only about network interoperablity.
> It must be consistent with other RFCs. Other RFCs have defined the Internet
> language/country authorities: RFC 3066bis cannot say otherwise. As for
> naming, languages are chosen and documented by the local internet
> communities, represented by their Trustees, the ccTLD Managers (the SLD
> Manager for privately defined tags). The same as IANA is not in the
> business of defining countries (RFC 1591), IANA is not in the business of
> defining the languages of the countries.
>
> All what an _RFC_ can say is that language tags identify the IDNA Tables
> published by the ccTLD Manager, as the Trustee of his local internet
> community (we talk of the language used by network/protocol related
> issues). Or by the SLD Managers for their domain. I certainly favor
> Unicode, locales, contexts, etc. converge, but that rises first many many
> more multilingual Internet related issues, the RFC 3066bis does not want to
> discuss.
>
> I fully understand that most of the ccTLD Managers have not published
> language tables and that other applications than DNS call for an immediate
> support, alaso that SLD Manager may need off-the-shelves tables. However
> this support by non-ccTLD Managers can only be temporary and MUST be
> eventually consistent with the ccTLD Manager tables such an RFC should call
> for. Otherwise we have a real layer and autority violation, all the more
> than this is not only by RFC 1591, ICANN ICP-1 but also by the WSIS 2003
> Resolutions underlinging the sovereignty of Govs over ccTLDs. There is no
> problem in documenting the duties of a ccTLD Manager in this area and in
> discussing it with ccTLDs Managers, as an addition to the ccTLD Manager BPs.
>
> I would therefore review the ABNF in four areas:
> - favoring the three letter codes for the language to make this entry time
> independent and consistent (this does not change anything in the currenet
> applications)
> - introduce the quted language icon URL
> - the URL of the corresponding table
> - a possible comment on the orientation of the table.
>
> I would add a paragraph indicating that languages tags actually designate
> the language tables decided by the local internet communities through they
> ccTLD Manager. Underlining that there is as many language tags in use as
> supported, requested or prepared tables.
> jfc.
>
> At 11:32 26/12/2004, Tex Texin wrote:
>
> >I have updated the page with a new format for the tables.
> [...]

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World