German as used in Liechtenstein

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 24 01:45:36 CET 2004

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

> I have 7620 languages in the ISO 639-3.5 Draft.

ISO 639-3 is still a draft, and its codes are not usable in RFC 3066bis
except as private-use.  When it does become a standard, they will likely
become usable through the "extended language" subtag mechanism.

> I have 42624 locations in the UN/LOCODE. I have 33000 French cities in
> my Web of France reference data base and more than 500 listed local
> language associations I should attach to them. The algorithm I use
> permits to roughly relate them to one of the 266 "business areas"
> considering that such areas are also historical and cultural areas.
> (For the time being I am focusing on European France only).

My Thomas Guide has hundreds of thousands of public and private streets
in Los Angeles and Orange counties.

None of these is usable under RFC 3066bis or 3066 or 1766.  There was a
proposal many, many months ago to allow UN/LOCODE identifiers, but there
was apparently no consensus for that level of precision in language
tagging.

Country-level tagging is probably not precise enough in all imaginable
cases, but town-level tagging is probably unnecessary.  As usual, the
truth lies somewhere in between.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/