Language Identifier List Criteria

Misha Wolf Misha.Wolf at reuters.com
Tue Dec 21 18:16:29 CET 2004

Hi Tex,

You wrote:

> Although the [useless] sets in q2 might be lengthy, given the
> number of possible combinations.

What I meant by:

> > The answer to Q2, for zh, might be:
> > -  zh is [useful in/for ...] | [useless]
> > -  zh-CN is [useful in/for ...] | [useless]
> > -  zh-Hans [is useful in/for ...] | [useless]
> > -  etc

is that a conclusion might be that (eg) "zh" alone is useless.
This requires just one statement, not many statements of the form:
-  it is useless for the PRC
-  it is useless for Taiwan
-  it is useless for Singapore
-  it is useless for Mars
-  it is useless for Alpha Centauri,
-  ...

[I'm taking "zh" as an example and very much hope that I won't
get replies explaining why and how "zh" alone is useful.]

Misha

the views of Reuters Ltd.