Language Identifier List Criteria

Georg Schweizer gschweizer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 20 21:16:13 CET 2004

> Some languages are spoken in many countries, and the language is not
> distinctive in each country. I have started to accept suggestions as
> to which language-region codes do not represent a distinct language
> variation, and therefore are not recommended as tags, without good
> reason.
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/language-identifiers.html

The criteria should be political rather than linguistic ones, as both
the ISO 639 language tags and the ISO 3166 country codes are based on
political agreement. Therefore I would not speak of "distict language
variations", but of distinct *official standards* (or at least distinct
conventions). Variations can be found everywhere (even within one
political region), whereas the same conventions can be followed by
several countries.