New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Dec 15 19:22:26 CET 2004

Bruce Lilly scripsit:

> > I see no reason why limits must be added as a
> > constraint in a revision of RFC 3066.
>
> The primary reason for specifying limits is due to the
> proposed removal of the review/registration process
> which currently limits the length of non-private-use
> tags.

The current process does *not* limit the length of non-private-use
tags.  It's true that the process does not permit the registration of
unlimited-length tags, as we do not have enough universe to represent them in full.

But absolutely nothing except his good sense prevents Michael from registering
en-the-dialect-spoken-on-the-bowery-between-1933-and-1945-by-alcoholic-drug-users-who-live-in-flophouses.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
"It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.